7 Tips To Keep Your Invisalign Clean
Invisalign is an amazing alternative to traditional braces because they are not only discreet, they are also convenient in everyday life. You are able to take them off whenever you desire to brush your teeth and eat your favorite foods.
Invisalign is a set of plastic aligners called “trays”. They are custom made for your mouth using advanced technology. Every 2-3 weeks, as your teeth shift positions, you must change your tray to the next set. This way, your teeth keep molding into your desired position.
In around 6-18 months, patients see results. However, Invisalign does require cleaning to maintain your oral hygiene. Keep reading on to discover the best practices for keeping your Invisalign trays clean.
Benefits to Wearing Invisalign
There are many pros to having Invisalign straighten your teeth. Notable benefits include:
- Safe and Removable
- Invisible Appearance
- Fewer Office Visits
- More Comfortable than Traditional Braces
- Easier to Clean
- Suitable for All Ages
- Suitable for a Variety of Dental Issues
- Dietary changes are not necessary
With fewer office visits comes the responsibility to properly care for your Invisalign trays. Since they are removable, it’s important to know how and when to clean them.
Tips to Keep Your Invisalign Clean
- Brush your teeth and Invisalign trays after every meal. This will help to keep your smile looking great.
If you are wearing Invisalign trays, make sure to brush your teeth before putting them in and after taking them out. This will help to keep your smile looking great. Additionally, try to avoid eating foods that are high in sugar or acidity, as they can damage your teeth. If you do eat these kinds of foods, make sure to brush your teeth afterwards.
- Use a gentle toothpaste and avoid scrubbing your aligners too hard. This will help to keep them looking new for the entire duration of your treatment.
It is recommended to use a soft toothbrush and a tiny amount of toothpaste to brush your Invisalign tray gently. Scrubbing your aligners too hard can leave scratches or even toothpaste residue on the tray.
- Rinse your trays with warm water after brushing your teeth. This will help to remove any plaque or food particles that may have built up.
Invisalign trays don’t need to be exposed to harsh chemicals to get them clean. Avoid soaking the trays in bleach or boiling water since these methods of cleaning can distort the trays. Additionally, avoid any mouthwashes (especially the ones with alcohol) and scented soaps. Simply using warm water will do the trick.
- Store your trays in the case when they are not in your mouth. This will help to keep them clean and free from bacteria.
Leaving your aligners exposed to the air when you aren’t wearing them can lead to bacterial buildup. This can make you sick! If you were to leave them out, remember to rinse, soak and repeat before putting them back in your mouth.
- Avoid eating hard or sticky foods while wearing your Invisalign trays.
Similarly to traditional braces, eating hard or sticky foods can have negative side effects. These types of foods can damage the trays or cause them to become dislodged. If you do eat these types of foods, be sure to brush your teeth afterwards. But it is generally better to avoid them completely.
- Handle your aligners with clean hands to avoid introducing bacteria.
Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water before handling your aligners to avoid any sort of bacterial transferral.
- Refrain from drinking anything but water while the aligners are in.
This ensures that you don’t damage or stain them.
What if I stain my Invisalign Trays?
If you were to drink something like coffee or wine with your Invisalign on by accident, then there are ways to remove these stains.
Several methods can be used to clean stains off of Invisalign trays. Some include:
- Combine warm water with hydrogen peroxide and soak your Invisalign in the water overnight
- Remove any buildup by brushing the trays with a toothbrush soaked in baking soda
- Soak your trays in half water and half vinegar for 30 minutes
Invisalign is a very popular method to straighten one’s teeth. However, in order to be effective, they must be cleaned regularly and properly.
By following the tips mentioned above, you can guarantee that your Invisalign trays are maintained effectively. If you have a problem with keeping your trays clean, talk to our team today. They will be able to address your concerns with their expert knowledge.
Put your smile in our caring hands.
224 Esplanade W Suite 600
North Vancouver, BC V7M 1A4
Tues: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Wed: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Thur: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Sat: By Appointment Only
© 2022 Smiles by Pocock
Built with Connect the Doc